Yeay, a listicle. Please note that the order of the talks in this post is completely random.
Rich Hickey – The Value of Values
Mind-opening talk about very common conceptions about entities and how to story information. A great motivator for immutability and definitely a must see.
Uwe Friedrichsen – Resilient functional service design
Added later to this post, it just fitted so fell 😉
By the way: Uwe gave many great talks, one gem if you want to deep-dive into consistency is “Real-world consistency explained”
Adrian Cockroft – Migrating to Microservices
On of the better “migrating to microservices” talk giving a great overview.
Our Standard Books
- Head First Design Patterns – Eric Freeman, Elisabeth Robson
This is book explains design patterns in a straightforward, fun and easy to remember way
- The Pragmatic Programmer – Andrew Hunt and David Thomas
- Clean Code – Robert C. Martin
- Design Patterns – Erich Gamma, Richard Helm, Ralph Johnson, John Vlissides
The standard. In Alexander’s personal opinion “head first design patterns” is the better starting point for design patterns, but this is a great reference.
- Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture – Martin Fowler
And some Links
- Semantic Commit Messages
Not much to explain about it. It’s a simply thing improving every commit
- 12 factors of a 12 factor application 😜
Even less to say about this. Just makes a lot of sense
- Post from Gene Hughson on microservices boundaries governance, reuse and complexity
Great post that contains lots of links
- Turning the database inside out with Apache Samza
Although this post is about Apache Samza, a stream processing framework, this article is a seriously great deep dive into databases and distributed non ACID-systems.